Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A suitcase of destiny

Despite its favorable ratings on rottentomatoes, I thought that the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was kind of lame. But I'm a serious kind of person, and I don't like such movies. I mean, girls who pass magical one-size-fits-all jeans to each other? There were some really different sizes in that movie. Now though, I have my own version of the traveling pants. A small carry-on suitcase.

Yes, it makes way more sense than a pair of jeans. A small carry-on suitcase. Even if there were no change of owner, a suitcase on its own will have quite a story to tell about the places it's been to. And with 4 owners, a suitcase definitely has quite a history.

I don't know the full story, but as far as I know, the first traceable owner was from Hawaii. Somehow, the first owner gave the suitcase to a guy from Texas in some unknown place that they intersected at. This guy from Texas then went to Japan, and met my friend there. He gave the suitcase to my friend. This evening, my friend is in the process of packing to move home for the summer (he's also from Texas). He's got way too many bags to bring with him tomorrow, and he doesn't really need a small carry-on suitcase. Instead of throwing it out, he's giving it to me. I could return it to him if he comes back to Boston; I don't really need another small suitcase. But I could also meet someone before he comes back, if he comes back. Then the suitcase will have a 5th owner.

There will be no movie though, not about this suitcase anyway. Hawaii, Japan, Texas, Boston. What stories can my new suitcase tell? I had a pair of boots that saw the sunshine and rain in California, snow and salt in Boston three times, encountered the humidity in Singapore, and touched the dirt on Mt. Fuji. After that, it was way too worn. That was quite a life though, that one year it was around. Life isn't that exciting for most people.

No comments: