Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Back to the topic of tea

I am incapable of reading tea leaves, but I am able to read the label on my tea bag. This is what the tea bag I had over lunch said:

"Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law."

Wow.

I have given up on fortune cookies. It is rare to find one that has anything meaningful written inside. In fact, two cookies at the same table will have the same fortunes, no matter the size of the dinner party. It's happened when I had dinner with 2 other people, and when I had lunch with 9 other people. I have no idea what kind of probability distribution that follows. You probably think that I haven't enough data for good statistics. Perhaps.

Having taken classes in economics and statistics, I do understand how important using the right measure is. But how often is that applied in daily life? By regular people? I don't really think too critically about statistics all the time, even though I am supposedly trained to. I am not a natural critical thinker. But check this out: people have realized that it's not enough to show the top 10 most popular anime, but to show how the top 10 most popular anime were picked, i.e. using which statistical method. Indeed, the amateur fan is the best and most honest journalist; most magazines don't really bother to show you how rankings change given different criteria -- they just use one.

Whatever the case, I have yet to pick the same tea bag label twice, and that has made me somewhat happy. I may be switching to this brand of tea bags at home to facilitate the starting of my collection of Salada tea bag labels. The bottle caps with words on the underside have yet been proven to be as witty, and thus, to date, are unworthy as a collector's item.

No comments: