Monday, May 15, 2006

Of charm

There was once when I had to give a presentation on a person. I forget the purpose of the homework, but I recall that it was for English class. I think we had to read a biography or something. I was into female role models in politics, and the obvious choice would have been Hillary Clinton, or Margaret Thatcher. I gave a presentation on Eva Peron. She was the First Lady of Argentina, and I came to know of her through the movie Evita.

I still remember bits of her life story -- how she was working in an inn or a boarding house of some sort, persuaded a man to run away with her to Bueno Aires, and then persuaded other men to give her jobs. Because she was such a great public speaker and worked for a radio station, she eventually persuaded the public to vote for the man that she chose, and became the First Lady of Argentina. At least that was the version that I read. I didn't bother to check another source.

How is that an inspirational story? She ran the country into debt with her bad spending policies and all. But really, you have to admire this woman -- the peasants loved her despite everything. I recall how I ended my presentation. "Eva Peron was an amazing woman. Many women sleep around, but here is one who figured out how to sleep her way to the top." Her ability to manipulate people was amazing. I think that is admirable. Of course, the rest of the class took it for a flippant comment and laughed, but I was rather serious about it. I was a rather different 15-year-old from the rest of the girls. I went to a girl's school though, so I feel like I had the freedom to express myself. I'm all for girl's schools.

In general, I admire people with the ability to manipulate, for better or for worse. It's an art that I would love to master. The other thing that would be nice to have is a subtle charisma. Looks are only good for when you're young, and I need to learn to deal with growing old. And that is my arrogant advice to me and you tonight -- learn to be charming.

1 comment:

m1 said...

Looks are only good for when you're young. For everything else, there's botox.