Thursday, May 11, 2006

Myself, right or wrong

One of the most memorable things I've ever heard a teacher say was this. "I can't necessarily write a distinction essay, but I know one when I see one." The sheer honesty and tragedy of it all.

It doesn't take a lot to develop an eye or a taste for something. And then there is no going back. You can immediately judge quality, however unconsciously, and be disappointed immediately. A friend once accused me of this, "What gives you the right to judge? You can't even do whatever that person did!" True, and I am painfully aware of it. Let's just face reality. There is the ability to do something, and there is quality. The question is really whether or not to say it out loud. "I can't do what you just did, but it doesn't mean that you were good. In fact, I think you're quite a way from there." I feel like I would appreciate such honesty, especially if I were trying to improve. I also realize that I am wired a little different from the rest of the world in this one aspect (at least).

I feel like I lost a little of myself today because I have no idea what to do. To someone who has tried and was all excited and optimistic, I feel like I have to offer some sort of appreciation. But I stopped there unable to say anything truthful that was not equivocal. The irony of praising someone for their bravery. The very words I did not say, the very words that I chose to say, and all their hidden meaning.

There were days when I was so blut, and there is today when I tried to be nice. Which to be? This is not something that I will decide now and forever be. Fortunately I have always been myself, right or wrong, at that moment.

1 comment:

Shaocong said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.