Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Embracing coffee

I hate to admit this, but I've taken to relying on coffee for those days when I just can't wake up. Like today. But I also got lucky today -- the pot of coffee sitting in the cafeteria was freshly brewed, and it was just fragrant. As a result, I have decided to change my mind about coffee.

I don't like coffee for its image -- hardworking addicts who don't sleep enough. Depending on where you're coming from, you can either admire the people who stay hook on coffee to do the great work that they do, or you can mock them for not appreciating life. Coffee was a tool to keep awake. If I need it, I go to the cafeteria for a cupful, complete with cream and sugar. It doesn't taste bad; in fact, I kind of enjoy it. But I was fearful of being hooked on it for its chemicals, and I certainly don't want to be one of those who need a little help with living. (I apologize for my gross and baseless generalizations of coffeedrinkers.)

Then today, I had a cup of coffee and really enjoyed it. They usually serve Starbucks at the cafe, but it really made no difference. It was just coffee, sometimes too sour, sometimes with a bitter aftertaste. Today, the pot ran out, and I had to ask the lady for a fresh pot. Somehow, this pot of coffee was done just right. It was lightly fragrant without being overwhelmingly so. It left no bad aftertaste. It was liquid delight, the perfect companion for walking in the rain. Suddenly, the day looked beautiful.

It's a pity that I can't count on the cafe for good coffee everytime. But I don't feel bad about wanting to taste it now. My problems and worries about coffee and caffeine have nothing to do with the drink, but my lack of self-control. Let's face it -- that regular-sized cup you get is made for those who really need coffee to get going. If all you want is a taste to appreciate it, 1/3 of the cup is more than enough. No more will I think of coffee as another prop to prolong my awake time!

They forgot one crucial thing in giving you value for your money in this country -- the law of diminishing returns. Sometimes too much just makes you want to throw up.

1 comment:

m1 said...

u should try some of the gourmet coffee back home at TCC. Especially the Blue Mountain (King of coffees) that costs 10 bucks, it is so good that I can drink it flat! And that's coming from a person who usually loads on the sugar and creamer. Too expensive for a daily morning dose though ;)