Friday, May 19, 2006

Dreaming

I remember last night's dream. There was a watch. A black plastic Casio, round and white-faced analog watch, like the one I really liked when I was in primary school. I don't know if I owned one, or if I wanted one back then. In my dream, I remember thinking that they came in 3 colors -- black, white and pink. Oh the nostalgia of a watch I might have once owned.

Says an online dream dictionary, "
To see or wear a watch in your dream, suggests that you need to be more carefree and spontaneous. You are feeling limited and constrained." Okay.

Even if you don't remember, you dream every night. According to wikipedia, it's an average of 2 hours a night of dreaming, meaning you'll dream away 6 years of your life. The first time I found out that a person dreams every night was in college. I knew a guy who was into experimenting, and he told me that if I tried really hard the first thing I wake up each morning to remember my dream, I'll gradually get better at recalling what I dreamt about. The same guy experimented a lot with other things, like trying to stay awake for as long as possible. Funny how many guys I know who tried that out.

It seems like most of the dreams that I recall are emotionally impactful. But I can't be sure since I don't know what the dreams that I forgot were. They could have been even worse. Frequently before a long day in the lab, I would dream of the work I knew I would be doing. To do the same things in my sleep and when I'm awake is rather exhausting.

I just found it strange to recall that long-forgotten watch last night. I think it's a sign -- I should go shopping.

No comments: