Wednesday, April 19, 2006

When seeing is observing is staring

When does observing someone become rude? I like looking at people, and I most probably stare. I like looking at my TA's eyebrows, coz he has a crooked one. I like looking at this girl who looks like a doll. Sometimes I get fascinated by strangers and wonder what they are like and what they do. But it's rude to stare, I know. It just happens though.

And it's fair, because I know people look at me too. No, I'm not being arrogant. I've had strange women come up to me and tell me that they like what I'm wearing. I don't mean the days when I'm just in a t-shirt and jeans, although that did happen two weeks ago. In fact, both incidents happened on the same day.

I guess the first one doesn't count. I bought a new sweater recently -- black with bright embroidery of flowers and plants. I know, it sounds awful, and I'm sure my mom hates it. I have a thing for large patches of asymmetrical embroidery though, and it actually looks nice. I walked past a lady on the street, who said "I like that sweater." There we go, someone does appreciate loud embroidery.

That same day, another strange woman taps me on my shoulder at the T station, telling me that she liked my jeans. Fantastic! Except this time, she went on about the color and cut, the pockets and waistline, and how she thought it looked really nice from behind. She wanted to know where I bought that pair, coz she wanted to get the exact same thing for her daughter. Well, I'm sorry. I got that pair 3 years ago. Goodbye. I did like the color of the jeans, but the comment about the cut was funny. That pair was at least 2 sizes too large, and way too long for me. And why in the world was she observing my behind? A friend who was with me agrees that it was unsettling, even though it wasn't meant to be.

For a period of time, Kate seemed to notice my old shoes. I had a pair of gold-metallic shoes that wasn't too worn -- "new shoes?" Nope, 3 years old. It was the same with my bathroom slippers -- "You bought them for the retreat?" Nope, I bought them 3 years ago. The clincher was really that free pair of red New Balance shoes. "You got them coz they were fashionable?" Nope, they were free, and I'm stuck with them. They are 5 years old.

There was a time I did get into trouble for staring. It was my turn to bat, and the pitcher shouted "Stop staring at me with those eyes of yours!" What? And of course, I missed. That was a low ball...

Okay, I admit that last story was a little out of sync, but I was thinking of my guy pals. Just to prove that this is not a post about my shoes and clothes. I'm all about being equal.

1 comment:

m1 said...

how come most of the stuff was bought 3 yrs ago? what happened 3 yrs ago? ;)