Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Drama in the concrete jungle

Prior to the latest experience, I have gone apartment hunting twice. The housing situation in Berkeley isn't exactly the easiest -- high prices, ruthless realtors, and rundown places. Having survived, I emerged confident that I can deal with renting an apartment anyday, anywhere. I also learnt that looking for an apartment can only be at the very best painless. Lessons learnt, I was ready to take on the world.

The rental market here in the Boston area is somewhat different from that in Berkeley. I found that out right away when I saw the listings on craigslist. There is not one page full of listings; no, the first page you see asks if you want to see places by owners only, or brokers, and if you want to pay a fee. Evidently, it was set up to confuse, and to intrigue. But the fundamental laws of the market will prevail, and I learnt the basics well. What could go wrong?

You have to be prepared here. In the big city, things move quickly. Want to see the apartment? Sure, how about in a couple of hours? I know the trees aren't blooming yet, but imagine the trees in the summer, and the breeze coming in from the deck... And if you want to change the color of the walls, I'll buy the paint but you guys have to do the work. The workmen have just recently installed the granite kitchen top, and they have finished the new wooden floors on the 1st and 2nd floors. They are doing the carpets next, and installing the dishwasher...

The buildings here have interesting designs, and the layout of the apartments are all rather different. The places are mostly well-kept, and inhabited. Hello, I'm sorry to disturb your little party, I'm just looking. I don't keep my apartments empty ever, 25 years.

I'll meet you at Toscanini's ... at ABP ... at Dunkin Donuts. Oh, I could have given you a ride. I would give you a ride but there are too many of you. Bring me the forms and the check. I'll meet you at 12. The owner wants to interview you.

If you're not dealing with the owner, you're dealing with the agent. Wait, the agents from different companies are showing the same places? First-come-first-served you say? My son and I were both on the phone with realtors who called to tell us that someone wanted the apartment. So it was really at the same time. It has never happened before.

We're going to get a new washer and dryer installed. We would go with coin-operated ones, but they break down all the time. I know how it is to have to go to the laundramat; I used to have to do it. It'll just take a few days to get the washer and dryer. I am handy with things around the house, but the shower cubicle, I leave it to the guys who know how to do it. I was so worried that I would have to choose new carpet material again. Fortunately they located the carpet just as it was coming out from the mill. The house was built in the mid-1800's. I grew up in that house you know. When we first got married, I handled the checking account. We went out, and had fun, and the bank called one day to tell us that we were overdrawn. I never touched the accounts after that.

Yes, things are different here. It's charming.

No comments: