Sunday, April 23, 2006

Posing in pictures

I need to learn how to pose in photos. Perhaps I'm self conscious and thus I'm being too sensitive, but I tend to stick out in group pictures. Growing up, I've frequently messed up informal class pictures by being the one looking to the side, or downwards. It probably isn't apparent to others since it's one picture in an album, but when you're me looking at my old class pictures, the pattern becomes obvious.

I since learnt to look at the camera of course, but I still look out of place frequently. I don't know how normal people do it right, but I've managed to either smile too hard or look surprised in many pictures. A friend related to me what her mom said to her, "Why can't you smile a little more, like this girl (me)?" It's not always a bad thing. Yet somehow, I feel like I've managed to alienate the people I stand with, even though I was there with them. It sometimes looks to me like I was photoshopped into the picture.

Vanity, being vanity, doesn't allow me an unbiased opinion on this matter. I stick out of the picture because I'm looking at me. But why do I feel uncomfortable looking at myself? Does anyone out there understand the discomfort and disconnect in staring at your arm? It's painful pondering existence.

1 comment:

m1 said...

u think too much! just pose and be happy, why bother? :P