Wednesday, April 05, 2006

This one goes out to Mark and Jon

The first page of a book usually has a dedication. I'm not dedicating this entire blog to Mark and Jon, but I don't think I would have thought to start writing if not for them. I don't think I was persuaded though. Mark's told me many times that I should blog for reasons I can't remember. I would like to think I suddenly saw things from a different perspective, and randomly decided to be an attention whore.

See, I've always wanted to be a writer. I wanted to write books. I didn't know what kind of books, although I've always assumed I would write fiction; everyone writes fiction. They teach you to spin stories in school, and take off a grade if you write something that doesn't make sense. It's lesson one in learning how to lie coherently, even though I'm sure deep inside, we know that lies need to be pretty solid. Oh, those good old times in school. But I digress.

Anyway, ducks are funny. (See supporting evidence.) I wrote a final paper for a class on American humor about why animals are so commonly seen in comic strips. I assumed in my paper that the cat and mouse duo was the funniest. There was Tom & Jerry, Itchy & Scratchy, and some other lesser known cat and mouse team chasing each other around. Of course, there were ducks, but they were mostly rather bitter. I should have known that Disney knew exactly what he was doing when he introduced Donald -- Mickey was really just too boring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm.... perhaps Disney made ducks funny =)
write on!

m1 said...

hehe, yk, when's your turn? ducks are good to eat! ;P