Friday, March 16, 2007

Sticking to what's right

I sometimes think that I would lead a better life if I weren't the one making all the decisions. Choose exercise, a healthy diet, good work ethics, real friends, nice guys. It's so much easier to enforce such decisions if all you can do is carry them out. Instead we make excuses.

I chose a pack of organic eggs last week at the grocery store. I didn't really care if they were healthier coz the chickens were fed a vegetarian diet, or whatever they did to make them give healthier eggs with omega-3 oils. I just wanted a cage-free bird, a bird that didn't have its feet trimmed so that it would fit better in a cage. Organic eggs cost twice as much as regular eggs, and they don't taste any different. But an extra $1.50 doesn't really make a difference either does it? It all depends on how you choose to think of that $1.50 -- twice the usual price, or just $1.50? I told myself it was just $1.50, and bought the pack. My true view of things though is that they are expensive eggs. But will I continue buying organic eggs? Yes, I think I will. I don't consume eggs very much, so it's not much of a cost difference. But that leads to the next questions: how about organic milk? Or vegetables? Or meat?

I guess a little research is in order: I just read an article on organic milk and I don't think it makes a difference to me. I do think that it will make a difference when I have children that I don't want to feed growth hormones to. I might head over to Whole Foods for vegetables when it's warmer. I knew someone whose family owned a farm. She buys organic coz it's better for the farmers -- no pesticides and such. I recall some people saying that organic things taste better, but I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference.

I have sorta made a decision, but will I stick to it?

No comments: