Sunday, March 04, 2007

About words and sounds

I would like to see Chasing Amy again. I saw that movie years ago and I remember that I didn't like it. But I would like to see it again.

I first heard of the movie when driving with friends on a dark sky observation trip. One of the songs from the soundtrack, Kiss the Rain, was playing on the car stereo, and it had the most heartfelt love confession I've ever heard, complete with pouring rain and slamming car doors. Pardon me for being female. In any case, my curiosity was piqued and I wanted to know what the movie was about. Amy said that we could watch it some time, and the guys joked about her wanting to see it coz it was Chasing Amy. We somehow ended up concluding that it wouldn't have worked as well if my name was in the title. We did end up seeing the movie -- a messed up love story about a guy and a lesbian that didn't work out. It was sad, and confusing.

I saw Big Daddy last night and it's an okay film. It was playing on tv, and I didn't have much going on. Then I heard the voice of the girl playing Layla, Adam Sandler's love interest, and I was intrigued -- who's that girl? I suspected that it was the same girl from Chasing Amy, except I couldn't remember her face. But her voice was unique, special, and very alluring. I wish I had a voice like that. Thought about her voice all night, and decided that I had to watch Chasing Amy again.

Words and sounds are all very powerful, but I usually remember scenes from movies visually or emotionally. The few exceptions are Chasing Amy, Mulholland Drive, and Chungking Express. Mulholland Drive is a mess of visuals in my head, but Llorando plays clearly. Chungking Express is unique in that I remember both sounds and visuals -- the "I like pineapple" scene, and California Dreaming. I should write about Chungking Express someday. And you should see it someday if you haven't already done so.

No comments: