Friday, June 02, 2006

The optimistic race

Why do you think that God is good? Sorry, I don't mean to sound sacrilegious, but it kinda popped into my head while I was having pizza. There was a bunch of people who were talking really loudly, and they were laughing and one guy exclaimed that he met God in New York City. Really? It turned out that he and a friend were lost, and a man took them all the way to the nearest subway. They realized then that they didn't have money to get a subway pass, so the same man gave them money to get onto the Metro. Okay. That sounds reasonable, but why do we assume (yes, me included sometimes) that God is good?

I thought about it, walking in the rain. I don't think that God is defined as good. Check out the first entry for God on Dictionary.com. Yes, like a dictionary would be the expert on God and related matters. But really, he could be sort of mean, not a devil (now a devil has a more precise definition) since the devil is defined as the opposite of God, but he could just be nonchalant. In our despair in life, I guess it's just more comforting to think that there is someone out there who is powerful and could make things right, who somehow made you suffer for a reason. Eventually, you will be rewarded. I don't have a problem with that, which makes me one of the optimistic race as well. Hah.

No comments: