Thursday, August 12, 2010

How to know that you're getting old

I was catching up with a friend i hadn't chatted with for a long time, and we were talking about the dramas we were watching. Back in the late 1990's when Japanese dramas were popular, we used to discuss dramas. "These days, I don't like the high school ones anymore," I told her. And she told me that I was getting old, and it is so true. Her too. She likes family-centered dramas.

I am currently watching I am Legend (Korean drama, not the movie with Will Smith), and I like it. It's about getting a divorce, and finding a 2nd chance in life.  The last drama that I was absolutely hooked on was a Korean drama about 30-somethings resolving a half-assed love that has gone on too long. And before that, I was watching Oh My Lady!, which is about a divorced woman getting a second chance at love (with a younger man!) and life. That's about three in a row, and strangely all by SBS.

I guess I'm older now, and teenage angst is too much. It's usually all made up in the head. It's refreshing to see an older character telling someone else to be more honest with themselves; it doesn't work with a younger character saying the same thing because he just sounds like a smarty-pants. And for me, it's nice to see older actresses (especially the women) getting lead roles. So many actors disappear when their youth fades. Tragic.

Now if only Hollywood will let more Asian actors play lead  in a movie without kungfu.

No comments: