Sunday, August 15, 2010

how not to introduce people at a party

I am afraid that this blog is heading away from funny, and entering the realm of misanthropic ramblings. I seem to have lost my tolerance for people, or maybe I have lost respect for a few of my friends, or maybe I just don't like other girls.

I was at a party last night and a couple of my friends were waiting for a girl, A, to turn up. I don't know A, but my friends seemed enthusiastic about her. They tried to prime my enthusiasm for this girl and it was like "blah blah blah....good friend of B (another girl)...blah blah blah...she often asks B what to wear over the phone...". Of course, none of it really made any sense to me. "Pretty", "smart" and "awesome" are pretty generic words to describe people that you like. Stories, on the other hand, work a lot better in creating a picture of a person in the head, and it is crucial that the story is told the right way.

Whatever pretty, smart or awesome person A might have been, the only thing that made any impression was the fact that she can't seem to dress herself without another person's opinion. A now sounds like a person with low self esteem, and a dependency problem. She may actually be smart, but it doesn't work if she doesn't have the confidence to do things. And I assume she is pretty, because the guys were enthusiastic about her, but it really makes no difference to a girl. In fact, it may work against her.

I didn't get introduced to A in the end. I wouldn't have been able to keep my face straight. She arrived, and I figured out who she was, and she did actually look like B and that totally killed it for me.

Oh, and I neglect to say that I don't have the best impression of B anyway.

No comments: