Wednesday, August 11, 2010

backward yet a leader, oh contradictions

I've been told by direct and indirect means that I live in a backward country.

Most recently, a friend showed me pictures of her new home in Japan. The place (rented) included a heated toilet with varying temperature, and a bathtub that can be controlled from the kitchen. I asked a Japanese friend about those features, and came away with the idea that any respectable family home should have those features. I wonder if they even exist in the US.

My sister was visiting from Hong Kong for the summer, and during her visit the following happened:
1. the water in the house was problematic for 2 days due to a bad valve (initially suspected a broken pipe actually).
2. the internet was down for 3 days due to old connections that had to be replaced.
3. the T was down between Kendall and Park St, so everyone had to get off the train and take a shuttle bus to Park.

Bad luck about the first two events, but she thinks my place is hopelessly ghetto now.

About event 3, nobody in Hong Kong would even imagine switching passengers from train to bus and back. That's not how it's done (although I have no idea if it even needs to be done). Care would be taken to ensure passenger comfort, and avoid such issues. They would do it at night or something. I don't actually know if the repairs needed to be done for a continuous 48 hour stretch. But the other issue is how do you bring century old equipment up to speed with the rest of the world?

No comments: