Thursday, November 15, 2007

A thought experiment

I was reading the New Yorker (as usual) the other day, an article about a guy with a private navy who hunts down illegal fishing ships. It somehow got me thinking about the food I eat (again).

Can I kill the animal that I eat? If I can't go to the grocery store to get nicely cut beef, can I go to my hypothetical barnyard and kill the cow? If I can do that, then I'll eat it. So far, I figure I can probably kill a chicken so I could eat that. I'm not so sure about other types of meat though.

I'm one meal into this new "Eat only what you can kill" diet, not counting breakfast since I never have meat for breakfast. I'm not sure how long I'll last.

I've been eating way more meat since I moved to Cambridge, mostly because I can't get excited over the sparse variety of vegetables I find at my grocery store. I wonder if it's possible to go back to the way I was.

No comments: