Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Fear

While I am really curious about all those reports that promise to give the true picture of what is going on in Myanmar right now, I'm afraid to click on those links. If you're curious and unafraid, you should check reddit out.

I think my fear stems from a documentary I saw many years ago when I was young, maybe about 9. It was about the genocide in Cambodia and it was on tv. For the first time in my life, I saw stacks of real human skulls. That, and an old faded Coca-Cola billboard is all I remember about that documentary. Cambodia and Myanmar are in similar parts of the world. It's not so hard to imagine Burmese skulls in a jungle.

I read an article linked by Reddit yesterday morning about how Singapore indirectly aids the Burmese junta by providing banking and medical services. It was disturbing. A friend later sent out an e-mail with more articles describing the Singapore-Myanmar economic/military link. I visited a monastery in Myanmar once. Is that famous monk who blessed me still alive? And if he is dead, was it before he could see the terrible things that are being done to his fellow monks?

I just want to stay in bed all day.

No comments: