Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Perhaps perhaps perhaps

Someone asked me today what that one (or two) thing in life I want to accomplish is. It sounds like a typical enough question, but I don't think I've given much thought to it. I've thought about whether I'll regret my entire life if I didn't do something, but not what that one thing I really want to accomplish is. Anyway, it didn't take too long for me to figure out what I want to leave as my legacy -- a good book.

It doesn't have to be a great book, just decent and semi-insightful enough such that someone somewhere down the road will think that it makes a decent read. I would actually rather have this good book than be a famous scientist.

I could get lucky with my first book, but I wouldn't count on it. I read an article a couple of years ago that said that with the number of books being published today, the easiest way to become a published writer is to make your mark somewhere else first. I usually link articles, but I have no idea where this particular one comes from. I agreed with that opinion, but it somehow feels unsatisfactory tonight. If you can get what you want directly, why are you going on a detour that may lead you there? I'm sure it's hard to take the direct route, but the indirect route is just as improbable. I don't want to be a famous person with a book. I want to be a person with a good book, and part of that probably comes from having writing experience.

For now, I can't even write on a regular enough basis. I did think that I would attempt short stories, fables, existential anecdotes. Maybe they'll build up to a book. Murakami actually thinks that short stories are more challenging (read the intro to one of his recent short story collections, or maybe an interview about it). I like how short stories can be like haikus -- a scene that implies more than what is being described.

Let's try it again, another resolution. Maybe I will write.

No comments: