Sunday, May 06, 2007

In phases

No thanks to certain books, I've grown to mistrust best sellers list. I've learnt that just because something sells doesn't mean that it's any good. Thanks to this notion, I totally missed out on the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho when it came out. Fortunately, I read about Paulo Coelho in the New Yorker (yes, I seem to keep refering to the New Yorker these days), and I decided to check him out. For the first time in a long while, I sat down and finished a book from cover to cover. Sure, it wasn't a long book. It was a good book -- I think that's my point.

I tend to read in waves, by authors. The last author I checked out was Calvin Trillin. Before that, Haruki Murakami. I'll be reading Paulo Coelho for as long as I can find an unread book in the library.

I'm not sure if its wise to read only a certain author. But that's how I function, by obsessing over one person, one idea, one thing, and never really coming back again. Literally, the phases of my life.

No comments: