Thursday, August 07, 2008

meeting my daily calcium needs

I had a doctor's visit last month. Because my old doctor quit, I have a new doctor who went through the initial checklist with me. He is not happy that I only drink half a glass of milk a day -- which is way more than what I used to consume before I came to the US (milk in Asia tastes bad). Apparently, I am only getting 1/4 of the required calcium, which is 250mg out of 1000mg. I don't really want to eat calcium supplements though.

So the doctor recommends that I drink more milk, or eat more yogurt. I wasn't convinced that milk was the only major source of calcium I am consuming; I remember hearing that broccoli is a good source of calcium. Fact check on the internet: broccoli has very little calcium -- only 50mg per 100g, so you need to eat 4lbs (2kg) of broccoli a day to get enough calcium. Tofu has calcium as well, but it depends on which brand you buy. Depending on the brand, you get 80 - 200 mg from 125g of tofu -- which means you need to eat at least 625g of tofu to get enough calcium. Bok choy is actually better than tofu or broccoli-- 150mg per 100g -- but it's hard for me to get bok choy here. Soy milk is also good. But the doctor is right that milk, yogurt and cheese are the best sources.

I decided earlier this week to start my new high calcium diet: fruit (lovely berries at the farmer's market) with plain yogurt and honey for breakfast, a sandwich with cheese and about 8oz of milk for lunch, and a hot chocolate made with milk before bedtime. I started my diet yesterday. I ate my yogurt this morning, but I was getting sick of it. I skipped my afternoon's 8z of milk although I ate my cheese-containing sandwich. I think I'm officially over this new high calcium diet.

It doesn't mean that I won't keep trying. But it's just so hard to eat according to regulations. I'm just going to keep eating because I want to eat something.

No comments: