Wednesday, June 27, 2007

a question of numbers

Interesting new fact that I found out today: 11% of the United Arab Emirates population is native. What does this mean for national identity?

Sure, the remaining 89% is somewhat like the native population in terms of religion and they are learning Arabic and all. But my experience with 1st generation immigrants (not specific to UAE) is that they are different than the native population. It's not just one city overflowing with immigrants in a large nation, it's the entire nation. How does the South Asian population (57%) assimilate into the nation's 11% population? Hurray for diversity and all, the face of the nation is totally changed. What does this mean for national identity?

I've been thinking a little about national identities recently after I did the math and realized that a nation of 2.5 million people with an annual birth of 50,000 cannot become 3 million in 10 years. Someone must have died. I have no idea how the math works out.

I have no idea how the dollars and cents work out. It's for the economy, for the livelihood, for nation-building. But the nation is changed. I have no idea if the price is worthy. Something grew and changed. While change must happen and is good, I have suddenly lost sight of how having changed the handle three times, and the blade twice, the farmer's favorite axe is still the same. I'm missing something in the math.

No comments: